Congested skin is a problem for many people - it can show in the form of clogged pores, blackheads, blind pimples, whiteheads and cysts. And whilst often hormonal, there is usually a trigger for breakouts such as a build-up of sweat or oil, inadequate cleansing, poor diet and poor gut health.
Congestion is complex - managing and treating it doesn’t have to be. With the right approach to diet and a simplified skin routine made up of effective products - you’ll see positive results in no time.
Diet is everything when it comes to your skin, you truly are what you eat.
Diet is everything when it comes to your skin, you truly are what you eat. For congested skin, sticking to a low-inflammatory diet of foods rich antioxidants, vitamins, omegas and probiotics is essential for tackling and preventing breakouts. (And of course a keeping to a minimum - dairy, refined sugar, alcohol and caffeine)
Start from the inside and feed your skin with these nutrient dense food groups.
- Pre and Probiotic rich foods including oats, sauerkraut and apple cider vinegar will all help heal your gut and in turn heal your skin.
- Dark leafy greens, broccoli and cabbage are intensely rich in sulphur compounds which will directly help with eliminating the toxins that cause acne. You cannot eat enough of these cruciferous greens! Try and include in every meal.
- Carrots, Kumera, Pumpkin and Avocado are all rich in Beta Carotene and Pro-Vitamin A which are powerful skin healers, helping to rejuvenate skin and promote skin cell turnover
- Berries and Pomegranates are an incredible source of antioxidants as well as anti-inflammatory. These powerhouse fruits also protect skin from UV stress and free radical damage.
- Chia seeds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and flaxseeds are full of zinc which are incredible for boosting immunity to the bacteria that causes spots.
TOP TIP: Ditch the dairy if you’re serious about combating congestion. Clinical studies have recently established a link between milk consumption and acne. Milk contains testosterone precursors, which cause increased sebum production.
For congested skin, sticking to a low-inflammatory diet of foods rich antioxidants, vitamins, omegas and probiotics is essential for tackling and preventing breakouts.
Start an effective skincare routine that’s easy to follow and don’t over-do it. Over-cleansing and over-exfoliating will only disrupt the skin barrier and in-turn may strip the skin of oil – which means it will produce even more to compensate. Excessive use of products or using too many active products will only overwhelm and irritate the skin causing more problems. Less is more - this is always the best approach.
1.We always suggest double cleansing at night to ensure you get a proper yet gentle cleanse. Firstly cleanse with Bioderma H2O to remove makeup, sunscreen and dirt. Follow with a gel formula to ensure a proper cleanse.
2.Exfoliation is extremely important, and formulas that include AHA’s & BHA's are the gold standard.
iS Clinical's Tri Active Exfoliating treatment helps to accelerate the removal of dead skin cells that interfere with proper oil drainage that cause breakouts.
And Medik8's Blemish Control Pads are a targeted clarifying treatment that help improve the appearance of problematic skin and prevent future breakouts that you can use every day.
3. Introduce a targeted treatment. The gold-standard topical fighter for congested skin is iS Clinical Active Serum. This is one of the most effective treatments for acne prone skin due to it's powerful combination of glycolic, lactic and salicyic acid - this skin clearing and brightening treatment encourages gentle exfoliation and deep cleansing of the pores. A one stop purchase for congested skin.
5. Introduce a mask once a week to clear, heal and promote good skin health. NIOD’s Flavanone Mask is a cult favourite that powerfully decongests skin as well promotes long term skin health with continued use. Josh Rosebrooks Cacao Antioxdant Mask is another favourite treatment that activates, clarifies and stimulates skin - a deeply purifying mask that detoxes and rejuvinates skin to clear and revitalised.
6.Even oily and blemish prone skin requires hydration. Never skip this step and include a lightweight moisturiser like NIODs Hydration Vaccine, Doctor Rogers Restore Moisturiser - both light and hydrating treatments that properly mositurise and nourish skin without ever clogging pores.